Fire Extinguisher Selection
Note: Extinguisher requirement may change with occupancy/hazard classification.
- A minimum 5 lb ABC fire extinguisher is required.
- Maximum travel distance is 75 feet to an extinguisher
- A K-type extinguisher is required in all commercial kitchens.
Fire Extinguisher Placement
- Fire extinguishers shall be located in conspicuous locations where they will be readily accessible and immediately available for use.
- These locations shall be along normal paths of travel. The maximum travel distance to an extinguisher shall be 75 feet.
- Within 30 feet of commercial cooking equipment.
- On each floor of the structures or building.
- In areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored, used or dispensed.
- In special-hazard areas.
Fire Extinguisher Mounting
- Mount fire extinguishers in a visible location with the top of the extinguisher no higher than 5 feet and the bottom of the extinguisher no less than 4 inches from the floor.