One of the best long-term conservation measures is to plant water-efficient landscaping, called Xeriscape. Water-efficient landscapes need not be cactus and rock gardens. These can be green, cool landscapes full of beautiful plants. A green, Texas-style landscape can be achieved while still conserving water.
The City of DeSoto has installed Xeriscape in medians and around the Town Center. This is a comprehensive approach to landscaping for water conservation, and incorporates seven basic principles:
- Good design
- Thorough soil preparation
- Limiting of irrigated shrub and lawn areas
- Adapted, low water demand plants
- Effective and efficient watering methods
- Proper landscape maintenance
By incorporating these seven principles, you can help preserve our most precious natural resource - water.