Develp an overlay zoning district for HAMPTON ROAD FOR A VIBRANT PEDESTRIAN AND BUSINESS -FRIENDLY DOWNTOWN ENVIRONMENT
1. Distribute questionnaires to City departments to understand existing conditions and near- and long term needs
2. Discuss composition of advisory committee and finalize the public engagement strategy
3. Establish a corridor brand identity package to be used throughout the planning process
4. Establish a webpage using ArcGIS StoryMaps to create an immersive experience to inform residents about the purpose and direction of the Hampton Road Corridor District Regulations
5. Conduct a joint meeting of the Planning & Zoning Commission and the City Council for charter-based zoning goal alignment
6. Submit character-based zoning district to Planning & Zoning Commission for review
7. Submit character-based zoning district to City Council for review
8. Conduct public hearings to consider the finalized character-based zoning district
3rd Quarter Update July 2023
As of Q3, the Development Services Department and Economic Development have been working with Halff Associates on the draft Character Based Code and Character Based Code Map, with details on each zoning type including set-backs. Proposed corridor planning was shared with the City Council. A Zoning Advisory Board was established and conducted their first meeting. The project website, www.envisionhaptonroad.com, has been updated to include an interactive ArcGIS map.
2nd Quarter Update April 2023
In Q2, the Development Services Department worked with Halff Associates to continue receiving public input on the Character Based Code. A draft Character Based Code map was established, the TIRZ district was set, and corridor branding was decided. Staff is working to establish a meeting of the steering committee including developers and property owners on Hampton Road to provide additional feedback to the process. Halff is working on the draft Character Based Code Report, with more details for each zoning type including set-backs.